Bridge Day 2012
About Bridge Day
Join West Virginia for Bridge Day on October 20th 2012! Since 1977 extreme sports enthusiasts have been coming out to celebrate West Virginia’s heritage and to catch thrills! The Bridge Day celebration will be held in Fayette County, West Virginia on the New River Gorge Bridge. The New River Gorge Bridge is a steel arch bridge that stands at 876 feet tall and 3,031 feet long! The New River Gorge Bridge is the second largest single arch bridge in the world!!
This event highlights extreme sports such as base jumping, white water rafting, highliners, rappel and much, much more! B.A.S.E. jumping (buildings, antennas, spans and earth) is an extreme sport where jumpers jump off a cliff or bridge using a parachute to break their fall.
The Highliner is an extreme zipline experience that takes visitors down the bridge and over the New River Gorge! The Bridge Day Rappel is an intense contest between experienced Rappel teams raced down a cliff under the New River Gorge Bridge. For those guests that are not into catching extreme thrills there is also food, music and a car show. This annual event is the only time of year that traffic gets completely shut down to ensure safety of pedestrians. Since heavy traffic and lots of people are expected, Bridge Day offers parking and a shuttle to the event entrance for only $2.00
Bridge Day is extreme, and asks visitors not to bring the following to the events: Dogs, backpacks or large handbags, coolers, folding chairs, bikes, skates, skateboards, strollers or wagons, weapons, fireworks, illegal drugs and alcoholic beverages.
Bridge Day DOES encourage visitors to check out the glory that Wild and Wonderful West Virginia has to offer!!
Friday, Oct 19th
- The Taste of Bridge Day ($) Hosted by Oak Hill and Fayetteville Rotary Clubs. Smokey’s on the Gorge, Ames Heights Rd., Rt. 19.
Saturday, Oct 20th
- 5:30 a.m.Vendors to various parking lots Pancake Breakfast ($) American Legion, Fayetteville Rotary
- 7:30 a.m.-noon Farmer’s Market- in Fayetteville
- 8:30 a.m. Shuttles begin at designated parking lots
- 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Annual New River Gorge Bridge Day Festival – BASE Jumping, Rappelling & Highline, and More! Rt. 19. New River Gorge Bridge
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Bridge Day Car Show – Quality Inn Rt 19
- 2:30-5:30 p.m. Music in Downtown Fayetteville Featuring The Boatmen
- 3:00-6:00 p.m. Chili & Cornbread Cook-off in downtown Fayetteville
Sunday, Oct 21st
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Enjoy New River Gorge!
Check out more about Bridge Day at the official Bridge Day website!