Gauley Season Continues
The Gauley River is renowned for its world class whitewater year round, but in particular in the Fall during what are known as “release dates” – when the dam is opened. On these days the water is particularly high and makes for a trip that is action packed and incredible.
If you’re not sure that you’re ready to hit the water, check out this video from a trip down the Gauley River:
Convinced yet?? If not, check out our list of top 10 reasons to raft during Gauley Season.
Of course, we love whitewater rafting no matter what time of the year it is, but there’s just something about the fall that really resonates with us.
- Watching the seasons change is one of our favorite parts of being in the New River Gorge. Watching the seasons change from the water is even better.
- There are few things as satisfying as finishing an exhilarating day on the water with an evening by the campfire. And campfires really are more fun with the crisp chill of fall in the air.
- You can choose from a variety of different vessels to guide you down the water: rafts, kayaks, duckies and more! So you can always choose your favorite and choose the type of experience you’ll have.
- Looking for a final memory to carry you through the long winter this year? A final blast down the Gauley River can definitely help you through the dark winter days.
- When you’re ready for a break from the whitewater (if that’s even possible!), there are all sorts of fun activities you can participate in – ranging from hiking to horseback riding to even a round on the paintball course.
- There’s a stretch of time between the end of September and the New Year that feels like it goes on forever – hit the whitewater to make this time fly by!
- Higher water levels = AMAZING whitewater. Check out more about fall Gauley Release dates and how you can customize your trip to experience them here.
- Fall pricing specials make the deal a little sweeter, because really, who doesn’t want to raft AND save money?
- Really, is there a reason NOT to go whitewater rafting? Except for maybe a lack of water? (definitely not the case here)
- Last, but not least, because any day is a great day to be on the Gauley River and in the New River Gorge – and it’s something that you absolutely have to experience to believe.
Convinced that now is the time to hit the whitewater in West Virginia? Book your trip today and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Luckily, if you haven’t hit the water, you’ve still got time! And to make it better, there are tons of different ways to explore the gorge – so there really is something for everyone.
Do you have a favorite memory from Gauley Season in the New River Gorge? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Are you following us on Instagram? Make sure to tag your pics with @river.expeditions and #RiverExpeditions for your chance to be reposted on our feed!