Rumor has it that the mythical event called “summer” is just around the corner. Although it may be hard to believe given the current forecast (and recent weather patterns), sunshine, high temperatures, and longer days are just around the corner. Like everyone else who loves to be outside, we are ready for those things to occur! So, with the thoughts of summer on our minds, we have compiled a list of some of our favorite fun outdoor activities to do in the New River Gorge!
So obviously our FAVORITE outdoor activity to do is white water rafting. However, sometimes we prefer slightly less wet activities.
If you enjoy whitewater rafting, you’ll probably enjoy:
The list goes on! All of these activities have the advantage of being close to whitewater rafting and also being a great way to appreciate the sunshine (that we all sorely missed this winter).
If you are looking for an area event to plan your trip around, we have a few that we recommend. Some of our favorite local activities include:
- Outdoor Dramas at the Cliffside Amphitheater (June-August)
- Summer Appalachian League Baseball (June-August)
- Celebrate West Virginia Day (June 20)
- Learn Appalachia’s History in the Hometown Mountain Heritage Festival (June 20-22)
- Or listen to some Music in the Mountains (June 25-28)
- Love golf? Follow the PGA Tour? Stay for the Greenbrier Cup (June 30-July 6)
- Are you up for Captain Thurmond’s New River Gorge Challenge??? (August 2)
- If carnivals are your thing, then be sure to visit the West Virginia State Fair (August 8-16)
So, when you go to plan your summer vacation, definitely check out all the fun things to do in West Virginia. Of course, we might be a little bit biased towards whitewater rafting – but who doesn’t love that adrenaline rush in the sunshine?