While there are many, many reasons to spend some time white water rafting, kayaking, or otherwise paddling down a river, here are our top 10 reasons to be on the water.
1. It is a great way to get outdoors. With so much of our lives becoming increasingly digital, it is important to take some time to enjoy nature and being outdoors. The beauty of the river cannot be underestimated, and you must experience it to truly understand. No matter what time of year it is, there is something beautiful about nature and the environment.
2. It is FANTASTIC exercise. The best part about rafting for exercise, is that it doesn’t really feel like you are exercising! However, the physical exertion required to get the raft through the water, especially if the water and waves are strong is almost unnoticeable while you’re on the water. You might be a little bit sore the next day, but only because you were having so much fun rafting, you didn’t even get tired.
3. It fulfills your sense of adventure. What better way to get your adventure and adrenaline fix than flying down the New or Gauley River? Even a “quiet” day on the river can be full of excitement if you want it to be! There are few better ways to satiate your inner adventurer than spending time outside in the woods on the water.
4. You get to spend time with your family and friends. 99.9% of the time this can be a good thing. When you add in rafting, kayaking, paintball, hiking, swimming, eating, and music, how could it not be a winning situation for everyone? The multitude of activities available in West Virginia are sure to please everyone in your group, making for a great weekend.
5. You will end up with a bunch of cool stories and pictures. When you get done rafting, be sure to view the pictures of your trip in the Red Dog River Saloon. These pictures allow your experiences on the water to forever be memorialized in the form of a photo or video. In addition, you will undoubtedly come home with great stories and memories that you can share with your friends and family.
6. It is a great activity for people of all ages and skill levels. Rafting is truly an activity for the whole family. No matter your age or your skill level, a rafting trip can be tailored to meet your specific needs and desires. What better way to spend time with your family than in a way that connects you with nature and is a great form of exercise?
7. It supports the local community and economy. By participating in a local rafting outfitter, you are helping to growth and strengthen both local and regional economies. When you get out on the water or enjoy a meal or buy a locally built craft, you are building up the local area and the communities that depend on tourism as a major part of their income. Oh, and you get to do it in a fun way.
8. You become a part of history and tradition. Rafting has been a part of American history for many, many years. By white water rafting in the New River Gorge, you are adding yourself to the list of people who have done so before you.