Hiking in the New River Gorge
In addition to whitewater rafting and all the other water sports in the area, there are tons of other great ways to explore everything that the New River Gorge has to offer. One of the most popular ways to do so is by hiking. There are numerous trails in surrounding state parks that incorporate all the beauty of the gorge.
There are several area trails that hiking enthusiasts flock to from throughout the area. These locations include:
Grandview: This is a great choice for hikers who are on a limited amount of time but want to see a little bit of everything that West Virginia trails have to offer. It also features a huge range of difficulty levels.
Glade Creek: If you liking swimming holes and going fishing, then this option is for you! One of the highlights of this trail is that it features a WV Catch and Release Trout Stream.
Sandstone Falls: As the name suggests, these trails encompass many of the falls in the New River Gorge, including the largest waterfall – at 1500 feet long! A 1/4 mile boardwalk is available here too.
Fayetteville Area Trails: These trails are almost entirely volunteer designed and built. These trails are very scenic and include bridge trails.
Thurmond: Trails in this area are of moderate difficulty, and include many old (not currently used) roads. Some of these trails are also open to bikers.
When hiking, it is important to respect the trails, those around you, and also to help to maintain the beauty and sanctity of the environment for future generations to enjoy.
- Pack it in, Pack it out. Pocket all your trash, including cigarette butts and candy wrappers, and dispose of it properly.
- Wildflowers, wildlife, and historic objects all contribute to the beauty we came to see. Leave them undisturbed.
- Keep pets on a leash at all times.
- Bicycles are only permitted on designated bike trails.
- Courtesy and common sense on the trail can help provide an enjoyable experience for all. Respect the rights of others.
Do you have any other trails you like? Or other etiquette tips that you want to share? Leave a comment below!