With summer just around the corner, it’s time to start planning your next family getaway. We might be biased, but we can’t help but think whitewater rafting combines everything you need for the perfect weekend (or weeklong!) vacation. Add in all the fun extra things you can do in the New River Gorge and you can plan your trip knowing that the entire event is going to be fun-filled and full of memories for years to come.
Keep reading for our Top 10 Reasons to Take the Kids Whitewater Rafting
- You won’t hear the phrase “I’m bored” for the entire time, and also the subsequent hours (and if you’re really lucky, the next day too!), but you will hear lots of laughing and yelling. Which we are pretty sure is better than complaining 😉
- It is a break from screens. How often do we see kids spending an entire summer break attached to a smartphone, tablet, or the TV? Bringing electronics on the water obviously is a bad idea, and once the raft gets moving, your kids will forget that smartphones even exist (well maybe not quite..).
- Exercise! Yes! See point #2 about spending days attached to a screen. After a day in the fresh air and on the water, some tired muscles may occur – but who knows, they might find a new (healthy) hobby for life.
- It’s something different. How many times have you been to the water park or local amusement park? Probably enough that standing in lines isn’t really worth it anymore.
- And speaking of standing in lines, let’s talk about things that you WON’T do when you’re on the New River Gorge (this ties back into point #1 also).
- They’re more likely to learn something interesting and useful. A day on the water not only provides opportunities to experience the New River Gorge from a totally different perspective, it also is the chance to learn more about the region from your guide.
- Nature. Is. Good. Need we say more? 😉
- It is cost effective. In most cases, it is generally better to spend more rather than less, and by being within driving distance of over 50% of the US population means that the odds are good that you won’t be having to buy roundtrip airfare for this trip (something that our friends down in Florida definitely can’t claim!)
- There’s more to it than just the whitewater! Rafting teaches a lot of useful skills that can be carried over into many different aspects of life, such as teamwork, friendship, and being aware of your surroundings.
- It is FUN for everyone! So mom and dad, instead of spending a day being dragged around a mall, or being forced to ride in large metal tea cups, why not try something that you can enjoy too? Whitewater rafting and the New River Gorge have something for everyone, so you can be sure that your trip will be memorable for every member of your group.
These are just our top 10 reasons, we could probably make a list that went on for a week, but whitewater calls and it is time for us to hit the river!